Child Care Licensing
Geary and Riley County
The goal of the Child Care Licensing Program is to reduce the risk of predictable harm to children while in out-of-home settings. The Riley County Health Department Child Care Licensing division works with all child care providers in Riley County to ensure children within our community receive safe, high quality child care.
- Provide information to those interested in becoming licensed child care providers
- Initial inspection visits of the day care home or center to verify compliance with state regulations
- On-site annual inspection visits of licensed facilities
- Consultation visits
- Investigation of complaints
According to Kansas Child Care Licensing Law, anyone providing care for children out of their home, other than those related by blood, marriage, or adoption must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.
Prior to applying for a child care license, prospective providers must:
- Have a high School Diploma or GED and;
- Required to attend New Provider Orientation
Child Care Orientation
The meetings for prospective providers in Riley County are held from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. the third Thursday of the month at the Family Child Resource Center, 2101 Claflin Road, Manhattan, KS.
The meetings for prospective providers in Geary County are held on the first Thursday of each month from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the Library Corner, 238 W. 8th Street in Junction City, KS.
The orientation discusses all information pertinent for obtaining a license, to include training requirements, licensing requirements, etc. It is also a time for prospective providers to bring questions or concerns for discussion. Please pre-register for classes in Riley County by calling 785-776-4779 extension 7604 and in Geary County by calling 785-776-4779, extension 7678.
Please view the link for Initial Professional Development Training Requirements for prospective providers.
New provider packets are available to pick up at the Family and Child Resource Center located at 2101 Claflin Road, lower level clerks desk. The packet includes the regulation book, KDHE required forms, and other great resources. The information should be reviewed prior to attending New Provider Orientation.
Click on the links below for more information regarding child care licensing, classes, and resources for child care providers and parents.
- Initial Professional Development Training Requirements (pdf)
- Professional Development and Class Calendar
- KDHE Child Care Licensing
- Child Care Availability
- Selecting Child Care (pdf)
- Child Care Concern
- Search for Child Care Facility Compliance Information
- What Constitutes Illegal Child Care? (pdf)
For questions or information regarding child care licensing in Riley or Geary County or to report a concern regarding illegal child care or a licensed child care facility, please contact your local Child Care Licensing Surveyor:
- Riley County, Heather Ritchey, 785-776-4779 Ext 7604 or by email
- Geary County, Angie Hobbs, 785-776-4779 Ext 7656 or by email
- Clay County, Tarica Lare, 785-776-4779 EXT 7678 or by email