Operations & Maintenance
Asphalt Road Crew Responsibilities
The asphalt crew is responsible for the maintenance and construction of paved roads, shoulders, ditches, drainage structures, and entrances to assure safe roads and bridges are provided for use by the general public. This includes:
- Crack filling
- Sealing operations
In providing a safe and functional county-wide highway system, the asphalt crew participates in monitoring forecasts and initiating snow removal plans in adverse weather conditions.
Bridge Crew Responsibilities
The Bridge Division of Public Works is responsible for the maintenance of 130 bridges and over 200 large culverts in Riley County. This includes replacing or repairing:
- bridge decks
- wing walls
- box culverts
- other drainage structures
We assist other crews when needed, help with snow removal, and are involved in special projects throughout the county.
Gravel Road Crew Responsibilities
The gravel road crew is responsible for the construction and maintenance of gravel and dirt roads in the county system including some township roads to assure safe roads and bridges are provided for use by the general public. This includes:
- hauling material to put on the roads
- maintaining drainage structures
- cleaning ditches
- installing new structures
The grading crew also assists other crews in completing larger jobs as in:
- box culvert installations
- chip seals
They also participate in snow removal procedures in the winter.
Traffic Control Crew Responsibilities
- maintaining over 7,700 signs and 340 miles of pavement markings
- setting up traffic control signs and barricades on construction projects
- maintaining guard rail at bridges
- trimming trees and weeds around signs
- painting centerline stripes and edge lines on highways
- fabricating specialty signs for parks and buildings
- striping parking lots, railroad crossings, and school crosswalks
The Traffic Division utilizes specialized sign making software along with a sign plotter/cutter to make, install, and repair signs in Riley County.
The division also operates and maintains sign trucks, paint stripers, several solar powered speed limit warning lights, and other equipment to help keep the public safe when driving the roads of Riley County.